Friday 20 April 2012

No more guilt

After a mild, very slow winter I was feeling a little guilty for all the book reading, DVD watching and relaxing in front of the wood stove.  Well guilt be gone, Spring is here and things are CRAZY busy.  My pups are 6 weeks old tomorrow, nine really wonderful pups, they alone could be a full time job.  Then there is the garden, I have been putting all that rabbit manure that has been composting all winter to work.  I have most of my cool weather seeds in the ground, peas, radishes, lettuce, kale, onions.  My potatoes arrive next week, which means somehow I have to put another garden bed in for them.
Mick started a ton, no, seriously..... a TON of tomatoes and peppers, what you see here isn't even half of what we have.  This morning I transplanted another 20 to individual pots and I think, if I calculated right, there is still double that to be transplanted.  Can you say Salsa? 

The rabbits are also being put to work after having the winter off, I have four new litters and two more arriving in a couple weeks.  I am constantly amazed at how easy it is to raise healthy rabbits, they did excellent through the winter and are now happily enjoying the Spring dandelions, nettles and bramble shoots I collect daily for them.

Next week, if all goes as planned, we should have chicks arriving.  This is a first for me, I am really excited, these day old chicks will be our future laying hens.  The drawback is that Mick and I have to construct a chicken coop and run within the next 4 weeks. The first month they will spend in the house, I know, stop laughing, seriously, a dozen chicks in my house, this should liven things up.

Needless to say, next winter, I will just enjoy my time off,  guilt will not even enter my mind....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...