Wednesday 26 September 2012

One pup mornings

 When you raise a litter of pups mornings are kind of CRAZY nothing like being greeted by schnauzer pups all screaming with excitement to see you, then screaming with the excitement  of breakfast.  Hurry hurry, get them fed, outside, pen cleaned, it's all me-me-me from the young pups.
Contrast that to raising one pup, what a relief.  I know most new puppy owners wouldn't agree, they will just have to trust me when I say, this one puppy thing is a breeze!


Yeah it is more work then the adults, you have to constantly monitor, even when house-training is going well you want to keep one eye (and ear) on the pup.  You can't ignore unwanted behaviour, it must be addressed, this can be a pain when you have the rest of life to deal with, but, pay now or pay later and I choose now.
New boy Cyrus has this morning thing down pat, I am greeted every morning to the sound of that glorious tail thumping inside his crate, Cyrus always comes out at a leisurely pace, he gives me a wiggle, stretches, and saunters out the front door for a whiz.  Then it is all about the cuddle, he must get his 2 minutes of 'Cyrus' time, preferably in my lap.  Once that is done he shakes, gets a drink of water, picks up a favorite chew toy and settles on the dog bed while I see to the rest of my dogs.  I couldn't ask for a better morning pup.  Once I let some of the adult dogs outside it is time for his breakfast, Cyrus is very food motivated and this is a high light to his morning.  He rushes into his crate to wait for his dinner, he learned very quickly that meals happen in crates around here.  A big burp and I know he is finished and he is back outside to complete his bathroom duties.  He is VERY strict about his morning routine, it is ALWAYS the same (right down to the after dinner burp) every morning.
Raising a schnauzer pup is all about routine and consistency, guidance and rules, give them that and the rest is easy.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...